February 2017 (Renovation)
About the Project
Between 2007 and 2009, the Province purchased 13 aging SROs to preserve affordable housing in the City of Vancouver for the most vulnerable citizens. There were many challenges during the four-year renovation process. Some of the buildings were almost 100 years old and all are municipal heritage sites--four are designated national historic sites. They required extensive structural, plumbing, electrical renovations, and seismic upgrades.
BC Housing worked with SRO operators during the renovation process to help provide alternate accommodation and supports for all residents. No residents were displaced as a result.
The project delivered:
- Long-term, supportive housing and an improved quality of life for residents living in the housing units.
- Updated amenities, such as cooking and washroom facilities, dependable heat, and hot-water availability.
- Seismic upgrades made in consultation, collaboration and agreement with the City of Vancouver and consultant engineers, greatly improving building safety.
- Restored heritage value and appearance of these century-old buildings, contributing to the revitalization of historic Vancouver neighbourhoods.
Construction finished on Tamura House in February 2017, bringing to a close the renovation phase of the SRO Renewal Initiative project.
The buildings have been turned over to non-profit societies, with agreements to manage them for the next 15 years. In addition, the Province will provide funding for a 15-year maintenance agreement, which includes providing building lifecycle and facility maintenance services for the 13 SROs.
The SRO Renewal Initiative Series
This case study series (released in 2018 and available on our research library) highlights what worked, challenges, lessons learned, and outcomes regarding several key components of the SRO Renewal Initiative.
Partners & Funding
- BC Housing (Province of British Columbia)
- Government of Canada (Funding Partner)
- Forum Equity Partners (Funding Partner)
- Ameresco Canada (Design-Builder)
- Black & MacDonald (Facility Maintenance Provider)