As of December 2017, the shelter in Sechelt has been temporarily relocated from St. Hilda’s church to the Upper Deck Hostel. The District has indicated its resolve to address the need for emergency shelter through a full public process to be completed by summer 2018.
Pending District process
Process & Engagement
The search for a new location for the shelter in Sechelt has involved the following engagement:
- August 16, 2017: First public information meeting on the proposal to place a temporary modular shelter on the district-owned land at Ebbtide Street and Trail Avenue. The community had the opportunity to view poster boards, speak with representatives from RainCity Housing, BC Housing, and Vancouver Coastal Health, and submit comment forms. View the summary report which inlcludes input received up to and including August 31, 2017.
- October 3, 2017: Second public information meeting on the proposal to place a temporary modular shelter on the district-owned land at Ebbtide Street and Trail Avenue. The agenda included an open house for viewing updated poster boards ; a facilitated dialogue with a panel of members from BC Housing, RainCity Housing, St. Hilda’s Church, Vancouver Coastal Health and the Sunshine Coast Homelessness Task Force; and comment forms to submit.
- October 17, 2017: BC Housing submitted an application for a three-year lease from the District of Sechelt, for the district-owned lot located at the northeast corner of Ebbtide Street and Trail Avenue for the location of a temporary shelter.
- October 26, 2017: BC Housing submitted a bylaw amendment application to allow for the shelter to operate out of the Upper Deck Hostel at 5653 Wharf Avenue. This will be for approximately 20 spaces, and will accommodate the people who have been staying at the St. Hilda’s Church shelter.
- December 4, 2017: BC Housing held a public information meeting to share information about the application at 5653 Wharf Avenue, and to hear questions and comments.
- December 8, 2017: BC Housing submitted a meeting summary report to the District of Sechelt.
- December 11, 2017: The District of Sechelt confirmed the denial of the application to lease the district-owned land at the northeast corner of Ebbtide Street and Trail Avenue.
- December 19, 2017: The District of Sechelt held a public hearing on the application for 5653 Wharf Avenue and council accepted the application.
About the Project
The shelter at St. Hilda’s Church has been relocated on a temporary basis to the Upper Deck Hostel. The shelter will operate at this location until April 30, 2019.
BC Housing completed an extensive search for a suitable site for a shelter in Sechelt, which resulted in a proposal to place a temporary modular shelter on the district-owned land at the southeast corner of Ebbtide Street and Trail Avenue. The District of Sechelt denied the application to lease this land, stating: "Council acknowledges the seriousness of the lack of housing in the community and the need for emergency shelter and resolves to address this issue through a full public process to be completed by summer 2018."
For inquiries on the future of the shelter in Sechelt, please contact the District of Sechelt office at 604-885-1986 or info@Sechelt.ca.