Homeowner Eligibility and Application

Homeowners, you may be able to get the BC Rebate for Accessible Home Adaptations (BC RAHA). To be eligible, you, or someone in your household, must have a disability or permanent loss of ability and meet all the other program requirements.

RAHA accepts applications on a first-come, first-served basis with priority to complete applications. Application intake is ongoing unless the annual program funding is exhausted. If annual funding is exhausted, application intake will close until April 1 which is when annual funding is renewed each year. Find answers to common questions about the BC RAHA Program

Am I eligible for BC RAHA?

  • You, or a member of your household, has a disability or lasting ability loss.
  • Your home adaptation request fits and relates to the disability or ability loss. Some requests need to be supported with an assessment from an Occupational Therapist (OT) or a Physical Therapist (PT).
  • The tenant(s) and the person(s) requiring the adaptions must not be under sponsorship and must be one of the following:
    • Canadian citizen
    • Permanent resident of Canada
    • Refugee sponsored by the Government of Canada
    • Individual who has applied for refugee status.
  • Total before-tax household income is less than $128,810.
  • Household assets are less than $100,000 (does not include equity in home being adapted).
  • The home being adapted is the primary residence of the homeowner and the person needing the adaptations.
  • The BC Assessment value of the home is below Home Value Limits for BC-RAHA. Or the home value is below the average assessed value of homes in your area.
  • The home needing adaptation qualifies for this program. Check: List of eligible and ineligible housing.

Note: Adaptations completed before approval from BC Housing are not eligible. Exception: emergency adaptations required before hospital release. Emergency adaptations must be installed within four (4) months of hospital release date. Documentation confirming hospital stay and OT/PT assessment is required.

What application form do I use?

Complete and Submit your application

1. Complete the Application Form

Important: You must use the BC RAHA Application Form. Previous HAFI application forms will not be accepted.

2. Include Supporting Documents

Incomplete applications will not be reviewed until all information is received. You have up to 90 days to send missing documents to complete your application.

Applications are reviewed on a first-come-first served basis. As funding is limited, only completed applications with all supporting documents will be considered for approval.

Accepted Supported Documents
  • Proof of Canadian Status for all homeowners and the person(s) requiring adaptations
    • Born in Canada: send a copy of Canadian birth certificate(s) or Canadian Passports
    • Born outside Canada: include copies of one of the following:
      • Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292)
      • Any immigration document showing the date landed and the immigration code
      • Canadian Citizens of more than eight years, copy Canadian Citizenship Card(s)
  • Proof of income — Most recent Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for all homeowners and every other member of the household 19 years or older.

Note: Don’t have a recent Notice of Assessment? Log into your CRA account at www.cra.gc.ca/myaccount to print your assessment or call CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to ask for an “Option C” printout.

  • Confirmation of the Disability Tax Credit (if applicable) – Copy your Income Tax Return showing the claimed Disability Tax Credit on L316, L318, or L326. Or copy a letter from CRA confirming your right to claim the Disability Tax Credit. If your total household income is more than the Housing Income Limit, we can reduce your household income by the amount of the Disability Tax Credit.
  • Proof of assets — Bank statements, investment statements or letters from your bank, credit union or other documents confirming the value of all assets for every member of your household 19 years or older.
  • Proof of address — Most recent utility bills, a driver’s license or other proof that the person(s) requiring adaptations lives at the address you want to adapt.
  • In-Home Assessment – (If applicable) an assessment from an Occupational Therapist (OT) or Physical Therapist (PT). Review the Maximum Rebate Schedule to see which adaptations require an assessment. For information on assessments, review Tips for finding an OT or PT
  • Other documents
    • Housing co-op homeowners: Need a letter from the co-op with:
      • Proof that the co-op does not receive subsidy from any level of government
      • Number of units in the co-op
      • Approval of the adaptations request
      • Proof of membership or co-op share purchase
    • Mobile homeowners paying pad rental:
      • Landowner approval of any outside adaptations
Written Estimates

Most adaptations do not require an estimate.  Please review the Maximum Rebate Schedule  to see if the adaptations you are requesting needs an estimate.

If the adaptation requires an estimate:

  • Provide an itemized estimate, listing the work. BC RAHA has a lifetime funding maximum. Carefully select adaptations.
    Estimates need:
    • Date estimate is given.
    • Name and contact information for the person completing the work. If you are performing the work, write as “self.”
    • List the work to be completed.
    • Cost for materials and labour, include taxes. If you are completing the work yourself, do not include labour costs.


  • You are responsible for choosing your contractor and making sure the project completes to your satisfaction. Tips for selecting a contractor 
  • Adaptations completed before getting written approval from BC Housing are not eligible

3. Submit Application

Complete all sections of the Application Form, attach supporting documents and submit the application:

  • Online: using the BC Housing Program Upload Form
  • By mail: BC Rebate for Accessible Home Adaptations, BC Housing, 101-4555 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5H 4V8
  • By fax: 604-439-4729

After you apply

Applications are reviewed in the order they are received. 

Once reviewed, you will receive a letter advising if your application is approved, missing information or ineligible.

  • Approved Applicants
    • BC Housing will confirm your eligible adaptations, the rebate amount and the terms and conditions to get the rebate. At this point we provide written approval for you to begin work.
    • You have 180 days to complete the work from the date of approval. If you do not complete the work in time, and we do not hear from you, your rebate may be cancelled, and funds given to another household.
  • Missing Information
    • Incomplete applications are not reviewed and considered for approval. You have up to 90 days to send us missing information.
    • BC Housing, or its representatives, may contact you to complete an inspection before program approval. This is to make sure the adaptation project is reasonable and fitting.
  • Ineligible – Why applications are not approved:
    • Not meeting all the program requirements.
    • Missed deadline, too late to provide missing application information.
    • Funding is no longer available. Completed applications are reviewed until annual program funds are gone.