The following pages can be useful to monitor public weather and health alerts.
- Public Weather Alerts for British Columbia
- Air Quality Health Index - View the current and forecast Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) readings for your area, hourly air quality readings and related health messages:
- BC Heat Impacts Prediction System (BCHIPS) - interactive online mapping system intended for use by members of the public to support health protection during hot weather. Map provides limited forecast ability.
BC Wildfire Service
- Evacuation Orders, Alerts
- Emergency Support Services and Reception Centres
- Family Reunification Services
- Highway Conditions and Closures
- Wildfire Smoke Fact Sheet
- Wildfire Smoke Response Planning
- Wildfires and Your Health (incl. COVID-19)
- Guidance for Cleaner Air Space During Wildfire Smoke Events
Local Government Resources
- Heat Event Response Planning - A guide for medium-sized municipalities to create a heat response plan.
- Communicating the Health Risks of Extreme Heat Event - A toolkit for public health and emergency management officials developing or updating heat-health communication strategies.
- Heat Alert and Response Systems to Protect Health: Best Practices Guidebook - A Health Canada best practices guidebook for developing Heat Alert and Response Systems.
- Guidance for community cooling centres in the context of COVID-19
- Interior Health - Heat Alert and Response System (HARS) - Includes link to toolkit providing community partners resources to develop heat alert and response systems, specifically in rural communities.
- First Nations and local authorities are encouraged to engage with their regional health authorities and/or First Nations Health Authority, for information and/or guidance on possible health impacts and risk factors specific to the local context.
Communication Resources for Tenants
- Tips to Beat the Heat During Covid-19 Template Poster - (12 x 18 )
- Tips to Beat the Heat During Covid-19 Template Poster - (8.5 x 11 )
- BC CDC Warning Signs and Symptoms of Heat-Related Illness (English & Spanish)
- HealthLinkBC Heat-related Illness (available in several languages)
- BC CDC Guidance for Wildfire Smoke
- BC CDC Wildfire Smoke & COVID-19
- Crossroads Animal Hospital - Hot Weather & Pet Safety
- Protect pets from hot pavement (SPCA)
- Using Chill Rooms During Covid-19 Template Poster - (12 x 18)
- Using Chill Rooms During Covid-19 Template Poster - (8.5x11)
Resources for Building Operators & Staff
- Housing Partner Contact Form - request equipment to respond to extreme heat and/or smoke conditions
Planning & Preparing
Space Cooling and Indoor Air Quality
- BC CDC Guidance for Cooling Centres in the Context of Covid-19
- Space Cooling Strategies - high-level cooling strategies for cooling individual suites, common areas and entire building
- Cooling System Assessment Guide - specifications guide for a permanent cooling system (heat pumps, PTACs, central air conditioning) for HVAC or engineering consultant
- Cooling System Specifications Form - form to be provided after assessment process to be included in the request for a HVAC or engineering consultant
- Portable Air Cleaners for Wildfire Smoke - guide sheet from BCDCD
- Air Conditioner Sizing Worksheet - for operators to size portable air conditioners for single rooms up to 2,500ft2 and short-term use only
- Air Purifier Sizing Worksheet - for operators to size portable air purifiers for common rooms and short-term use only
- Fan Use Instructions During Covid-19 - Fan use instructions for tenants during Covid-19
- Outdoor Cooling Space Guide During Covid-19 - How to Create an Outdoor Cooling Space during COVID-19 Guide.
- Five Tips for Outdoor Cooling Spaces During Covid-19 - Top 5 Tips for Creating an Outdoor Cooling Space during COVID-19 Cheat sheet
Heat and Pets
- Extreme Heat Can Be a Killer (2:45 mins) - by National Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health and BC Centre for Disease Control
- Government of Canada & Health Canada Sun Safety
- Heat Protection Advice by National Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health
- Extreme heat and people experiencing homelessness: A primer for community organizations
- Warm weather safety in a time of COVID-19
- Interior Health - Extreme Heat Events
- HealthLink BC - Heat-related illness
- HealthLink BC - Beat the Heat
- Healthlink BC - Heatstroke: Emergency Symptoms
Extreme Heat Webinars
- Addressing Extreme Heat and Wildfire Smoke: Equity Informed Approaches (June 17, 2021)
- Retrofits for Overheating Buildings and Poor Indoor Air Quality (July 7, 2020)
- Addressing COVID-19 & Overheating in Non-Profit Housing (May 13, 2020)
- Building Overheating and Air Quality: Considerations in New Construction (April 28, 2020)
- Preparing for Extreme Heat & Poor Air Quality (May 14, 2019)