Research that informs housing solutions to improve the affordability and quality of housing in B.C.
Socio-economic research provides important information on trends, demographics, best practices and supply-and-demand indicators to help government and housing providers make informed decisions. Key areas of focus include:
- Addressing homelessness – Our research on homelessness examines accessible, appropriate and affordable housing options for every person who needs a safe place to live. This includes research on best practices in addressing homelessness as well as reviews and evaluations of programs and services.
- Distinct populations – BC Housing conducts research on housing issues facing distinct populations, including seniors, families, youth and people with disabilities. We also look at the key housing indicators in our province — like household composition, median age, age and condition of housing stock, income and other factors.
- Social housing transformation – B.C. non-profit housing providers face many challenges. These include expiring operating agreements, dealing with aging buildings, limited new programs and operating funds. BC Housing partners with other agencies to conduct research that leads the transformation of the social housing sector. Through our research, we’re profiling innovative ways to build the sector’s capacity and to deliver and manage housing.
- Housing affordability – The provincial government is examining key factors affecting home prices. At the same time, BC Housing is researching ways to ensure more affordable housing is available for all British Columbians.
Technical research provides the foundation for innovations that improve how buildings are built and offers insights into how housing can become more sustainable.
We publish on a variety of topics that support both the housing sector and consumers. Along with timely and practical research, business intelligence and tools you'll find resources that help strengthen consumer protection. This includes information on:
- Buying a home – The decision to buy a home is one of the most important — and expensive — choices any of us will ever make. We publish a range of resources that can help you make an informed decision.
- Building a home – If you’re a licensed residential builder building a multi-unit complex or single-detached home, we have information for you. Our publications and Maintenance Matters videos offer help with a wide range of topics, from foundations to roofs and everything in-between.
- Renovating a home – At some point, we all renovate our home. We publish information on best practices that matter most to home performance, comfort and safety.
- Maintaining a home – To protect your investment there’s nothing more important than maintaining your home. Stay on top of potential hazards and issues with our technical publications where you'll find practical information for professionals and homeowners.