As part of the biggest investment in housing affordability in BC history, $1.9 billion over 10 years, the Province, through the Building BC: Community Housing Fund will be issuing a 2nd notice of funding spring 2020.
The Province recognizes there is an urgent need to create more options for those struggling to find suitable, adequate, and reasonably priced accommodation. Together with our housing partners, we’re developing affordable rental homes for middle and low-income families, independent seniors and individuals in BC.
BC Housing will work with non-profit organizations, housing co-operatives, and local government to create this additional supply through the submission and approval of project proposals.
The program does not include housing with support services or residential care components.
Community Housing Fund projects
To view Community Housing Fund projects across BC, go to Homes for BC
Request for proposals (RFP)
The Government of BC is inviting non-profit and Indigenous housing societies, First Nations, housing co-operatives and municipalities to propose new affordable housing projects for the second intake of the Building BC: Community Housing Fund.
Organizations are invited to submit project proposals to BC Housing beginning on May 27, 2020. The RFP will remain open until mid-January 2021; however, organizations that have “Construction-Ready Projects” are encouraged to apply early by September 4th 2020.
The first Request for Proposals (RFP# 1070-1819/016) for new rental housing units under the Building BC: Community Housing Fund (CHF) was issued April 18, 2018 and closed on September 17, 2018.
Project proposals must reflect the following mix of rents and incomes within a single building:
- 30% Affordable housing (moderate income)
- 50% Rent geared to income (housing income limit)
- 20% Deep subsidy
New projects can be combined with an existing mixed-use site or existing housing if the new project is a separate and independently operating rental housing development (e.g. separate legal parcels or separate financial operations).
Pre-Recorded Information Session
The information session has been pre recorded and is available at this link: https://vimeo.com/430802462/523d8bd994
Addendum with Questions and Answers
The Addendum with Questions and Answers and amendment to the RFP Clause 3.5.6 has been issued on July 21, 2020. Please find it in the list of attachments below.
Addendum with Clarification for Construction-Ready projects submission
The Addendum with Clarifications for submitting Construction-Ready projects on September 4, 2020 has been issued on July 31, 2020. Please find it in the list of attachments below.
Who should submit a project proposal?
Proponents must be a non-profit organization, Indigenous organization, First Nations, non-profit housing co-operative or municipal housing provider that is wholly government-owned and controlled.
Once operating, the organization will be wholly responsible for:
- Collection of rents
- Resident management and selection of new residents
- Building maintenance and upkeep: internal and external
- Community relations
- Capital planning
- Preparing annual operating budgets.
- Develop financial management and governance polices.
- Develop Business Continuity Plan
Submission documents and funding resources
Details on requirements and deliverables, the proposal review process, submission requisites and forms, and the CHF program will be available soon.
Details on requirements and deliverables, the proposal review process, submission requisites and forms, and the CHF program can be found in the RFP document and appendices below.
- Community Housing Fund - Request for Proposals (RFP)
- Community Housing Fund - Appendix C: Capital Budget Template
- Community Housing Fund - Appendix D: Operating Budget Template
- Community Housing Fund - Appendix E: Organization Structure Form
- Community Housing Fund - Appendix F: BCH Section 219 Covenant
- Community Housing Fund - Appendix H: Sample Operating Agreement
- Community Housing Fund - Appendix I: BC Housing Development Consultant Services Sample Agreement
- Community Housing Fund - Appendix J: Tenant Relocation Plan
- Community Housing Fund - Addendum - Questions and Answers
- Community Housing Fund - Addendum - RFP Clarifications
RFP issued: May 27th 2020
Submission deadline for "Construction-ready Projects": September 4th 2020
Submission deadline for All Other Projects: January 15th 2021
For submission questions, please contact email@example.com