An essential guide for non-profit housing providers working out rent payments.

The Rent Calculation Guide helps housing providers calculate the Tenant Rent Calculation (TRC) for residents living in subsidized "rent-geared-to-income" (RGI) units (including co-op members paying housing charges geared to income).

The TRC is the amount an RGI resident contributes towards rent whether they are living in non-profit housing, a housing co-operative, or housing managed by BC Housing.

Download the Rent Calculation Guide


1. Can I do Rent Calculation online?

Yes, the Online Rent Calculation option allows providers to enter tenant data directly and run real-time reports on information submitted. For more information see Chapter 3: Online Rent Calculation.

2. What happens if a resident’s income increases?

There is no immediate change and the Tenant Rent Calculation is not normally reviewed until the next scheduled review (annual or short-term).

3. What happens when children are living in the home of a relative who receives government assistance to care for them?

The Child in Home of a Relative (CIHR) program stopped accepting applications in March 2010. Since then, the Extended Family Program (EFP) delivered by the Ministry of Children and Family Development provides financial assistance for children in the care of extended family. EFP assistance is excluded from income calculations.

For family groups with any income from Income Assistance, do not include children in the home of a relative when determining household composition. For example, a single mother living with a child of her own and her niece under the CIHR or EFP would be charged the Income Assistance Flat Rent for a family of two.

4. What should be done when children are temporarily absent?

If a child or children are not living in the unit because of a custody dispute, apprehension, or other temporary arrangements, a short-term review is required every six months. In the meantime, continue to calculate the Tenant Rent Calculation as if the children were in the unit.

At the six-month review, re-evaluate the status of the children’s living arrangements. If the resident is still actively working to have the children rejoin the household, another short-term review date can be set, but again, calculate the Tenant Rent Calculation as if the children were there.

See the Resident Management Guide for information on what to do if the children are not returning and the tenant is over-housed.

5. How do we calculate the Tenant Rent Calculation for a live-in building manager / caretaker in core need?

BC Housing will pay subsidy for a unit occupied by a building manager or caretaker who is in core need and meets the National Occupancy Standards. Calculate the Tenant Rent Calculation using the procedures in this guide, and BC Housing will pay subsidy for the difference between the Tenant Rent Calculation and full economic rent.

See the  Financial Management Guide for information on how to set the market rent for caretakers not in core need.

6. ​What if the housing provider collects a lower rent for the caretaker/building manager?

Some providers collect a lower rent than the Tenant Rent Calculation or market rent, as part of the caretaker’s employment contract. Regardless of the rent collected from the employee, the amount to report on the Rent Form is the:

  • Calculated TRC for caretakers in core need and eligible for subsidy, or

  • Established market rent for caretakers not eligible for a subsidy

Any subsidy for the caretaker’s unit will be based on the Tenant Rent Calculation or established market rent, not the lower amount collected by the housing provider.

If you collect a lower amount than set out above, the difference is considered a taxable benefit and should be included as part of the maintenance salaries line item in the budget. See the Housing Provider Kit Financial Management Guide for more information.

7. A resident receives a Band allowance. Is this money included as income?

Only a portion of the allowance is specifically for room and board; 50 per cent of this portion is recorded as income for calculating the Tenant Rent Calculation.

8. When should I contact my NPPM?
  • If you have any questions about your operating agreement

  • If your market rents change

  • If you require a change to your operating budget

  • If you want to change your Annual Review date

Do you have a question?

If you have a question that is not listed here, please contact your: