BC Rebate for Accessible Home Adaptations (BC RAHA) Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to common questions about the BC Rebate for Accessible Home Adaptations (BC RAHA) program.

RAHA accepts applications on a first-come, first-served basis with priority to complete applications. Application intake is ongoing unless the annual program funding is exhausted. If annual funding is exhausted, application intake will close until April 1 which is when annual funding is renewed each year. Find answers to common questions about the BC RAHA Program

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions
  1. What is the BC Rebate for Accessible Home Adaptations (BC RAHA)?
    • RAHA helps fund home adaptations for people with low to moderate household incomes who have a permanent disability or loss of ability. This allows applicants to continue living independently in their own home.
  2. Am I eligible?
  3. Is there a limit to how much money I can get?
  4. Is there a deadline to apply?
    • RAHA accepts applications on a first-come, first-served basis with priority to complete applications. Application intake is ongoing unless the annual program funding is exhausted. If annual funding is exhausted, application intake will close until April 1 which is when annual funding is renewed each year.
  5. How do I apply to BC RAHA?
    • Review your eligibility requirements
    • Complete the correct application form:
      • Landlord / Tenant: Each person must complete their section of the application
      • Homeowners/Co-Op Members: Homeowner completes the application
      • Occupational Therapist or Physical Therapist complete the assessment form (if required)
    • Submit completed application (include supporting documents)
  6. How do I submit my application and supporting documents?
    • Upload Documents: Send completed documents to: www.bchousing.org/PUF
    • Fax: 604 439-4729
    • Mail: RAHA, 101 – 4555 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5H 4V8
  7. Can I apply if I live with extended family or parents?
    • Yes. Eligibility is based on your living situation.
    • If you live in a self-contained unit and have a rental agreement in place, please complete the Landlord/Tenant application.
    • If you own a home with your extended family, please complete a Homeowner application. Note that the income and asset information of all household members will be included to determine eligibility.
    • If you occupy a home and do not have a rental agreement in place with extended family, please have the Homeowner complete the Homeowner application.
  8. Can I get rebates from BC-RAHA if I have already received a payment from HAFI (former program)?
    • The maximum lifetime rebate from RAHA is $20,000 per household. HAFI funding received before April 2019 does not apply to the lifetime maximum. HAFI rebates received after April 2019 will apply to the RAHA lifetime maximum.
  9. What is an authorized contact?
    • An authorized contact (family member or Occupational/Physical Therapist) gives BC Housing permission to exchange information with that contact. This allows us to maintain and update your file.
Property Eligibility​​​
  1. What types of properties are eligible for the rebate?
    • A single household house
    • Townhouse/row home
    • Co-operative housing (not subsidized by government)
    • Condo property (in a strata)
    • Manufactured/mobile home (paying pad rent)
    • On-reserve housing
    • Legal basement suite
    • An individual unit (not subsidized by government) in a multiple unit rental building
      • Note: Maximum of 5 units per year eligible for BC RAHA in a multiple-unit rental building
  2. Can I apply for BC RAHA if I live in subsidized housing?
    • No. Any property that is owned or subsidized by government at any level is not eligible for BC RAHA.
  3. My home is under 10 years old. Is there anything I should consider?
    • If your home is less than 10 years old, there may be home warranty insurance in place. Check with your warranty provider before making any adaptations.
  1. What adaptations are eligible under BC RAHA? 
    • See the list of eligible adaptations.
      • All adaptations will be assessed based on how they address the applicant’s permanent disability or loss of ability.
      • Medical documentation or in-home Assessment by an Occupational Therapist or Physical Therapist may be required.
    • A more detailed list of adaptations can be found in the BC RAHA Maximum Rebate Schedule
      • Adaptations not listed in the Maximum Rebate Schedule may be eligible if it directly addresses a permanent disability or loss of ability
      • The lifetime maximum funding per household is $20,000
  2. Can I install my own adaptations?
    • ​​​​​Yes. BC Housing will only pay for material costs, not your labour.
  3. Am I able to request a duplicate adaptation or replacement adaptation?
    • ​​​​No. See the maximum rebate schedule for program fund limits.
  4. How do I request an extension? What if I can't find a contractor or the contractor needs more time due to unexpected delays?
    • Please contact BC RAHA to discuss: 604-433-2218 (Lower Mainland) or 1-800-257-7756 (Toll-Free)
  5. Do I need a contractor quote?
    • You do not need to submit quotes with your initial application. BC RAHA may ask you to provide quotes later depending on the cost and the type of work being done.
    • If the costs exceed the maximum rebate amount or lifetime amount, you may be asked to provide one or more contractor quotes.
  6. Can BC RAHA provide funding for roof or window repairs
    • No. Window and roof repairs are outside of adaptations for independent living.
Application Timelines
  1. When will I be paid for my home adaptations?
    • Our goal is to have applications assessed within 8 weeks of receiving the completed forms.
  2. When will I know the status of my application?
    • ​​​​Applications are reviewed in the order they are received. A letter will be sent to your address advising whether your application has been approved, rejected or if it requires additional information.
  3. Why is my BC RAHA application delayed?
    • Incomplete applications are not reviewed. To avoid these delays, please ensure your application is complete and signed by all homeowners/landlords and tenants with all required documents. You have up to 90 days to send us missing information.
  4. What happens after my application is approved?
    • The landlord or homeowner will receive an approval letter from BC RAHA by mail detailing the next steps. Please note that adaptations completed before written approval from BC Housing are not eligible for a rebate.
  1. How long until I receive payment?
    • Once adaptations are complete and all necessary documents have been received, the homeowner or landlord will receive payment within 3 weeks.
  2. How is the payment provided?
    • The payment will be mailed as a rebate cheque to the homeowner or landlord. There may be a direct deposit option in the future.
  3. How do I appeal the decision made on my application?
    • You will need to submit a written appeal within 30 days of receiving our letter. Please include your file number and any documents that might help with your appeal.
  4. Can I apply again if I applied previously but did not receive any funding?
    • Yes
Landlord/Tenant Application
  1. What are the eligibility requirements for a tenant?
    • Learn about tenant requirements: Landlord & Tenant Eligibility and Application
    • The tenant, or a member of their household, has a permanent disability or loss of ability and does not need assisted living
    • A tenancy agreement is in place
    • The rental to be adapted is a legal, self-contained unit with a full kitchen and bathroom inside the unit and it is not subsidized
    • The requested adaptations are eligible and related to the disability or loss of ability
    • The rent is below the Rent Affordability Limits
    • The landlord agrees to not increase the rent as a result of the adaptations
    • The tenant’s total household income before taxes does not exceed $120,990
    • The tenant’s household assets are less than $100,000
  2. Will you accept a digital signature or letter if the homeowner/landlord is unable to or refuses to sign the application?
    • No. All owners listed on title must sign the application confirming they understand and agree with the Declaration section of the application and approve the adaptations to the home. A letter or digital signature will not be accepted in place of the signed application.
  3. Can I apply if I don't have a written rental agreement in place?
    • No. You must submit a copy of your current written rental agreement or current rent receipts with your application.
  4. I don't occupy a legal unit or self-contained unit. Am I still eligible to apply?
    • No. The unit must be a legal, self-contained unit with a separate entrance, bathroom, and kitchen.
  5. I’m a tenant and my landlord applied for BC RAHA but when I contacted your office, I was unable to find out any information related to the file. Why?
    • All communications are with the homeowner unless the tenant is listed as an authorized contact. Please speak to your landlord about being added as an authorized contact on file.
Homeowner Application
  1. What are the eligibility requirements for a homeowner?
    • You, or a member of your household, has a disability or long-term loss of ability​
    • Your home adaptation request fits and relates to the disability or loss of ability
    • Meet residency requirements
    • Total before-tax household income is less than $120,990
    • Household assets are less than $100,000 (does not include equity in home being adapted).
    • The home being adapted is the primary residence of the Homeowner and the person requiring the adaptations.
    • The BC Assessment value of the home is below BC RAHA Home Value Limits
    • The home needing adaptation qualifies for this program
  2. Do all Homeowners/people on title need to provide proof of income and assets?
    • ​​​Yes. All Homeowners must submit proof of income and assets from all sources, including from foreign sources/property.
  3. I own a manufactured/mobile home and pay pad rent. Which application should I submit?
    • Please submit a Homeowner application.
Home Assessment - Occupational/Physical Therapist (OT/PT)
  1. What is the maximum fee you will cover for the Occupational/Physical Therapist Assessment?
    • $275 per household per year. Any amount over this must be paid by the applicant.​​
  2. How do I find an Occupational or Physical Therapist?
  3. When will I be reimbursed for the Occupational Therapist/Physical Therapist fee?
    • The OT/PT assessment rebate will be paid out when the file is completed. If this will cause hardship, please contact RAHA at 604-433-2218 (Lower Mainland) or 1-800-257-7756 (Toll-Free).
  4. Is there anything else I should ask my Occupational or Physical Therapist?
    • If your requests are over the maximum rebate amount, we recommend talking to your Occupational or Physical Therapist. You can work with them to prioritize your needs.
  5. Can you contact my OT/PT if you have questions about my adaptations?
    • Yes. Make sure your OT/PT has a contact phone number. You can also select your OT/PT as an authorized contact to allow them to discuss and update your file on your behalf.