The Building BC: Indigenous Housing Fund is an investment of $550 million over the next 10 years to build and operate 1,750 new units of social housing both on- and off-reserve.
The Province, through the Building BC: Indigenous Housing Fund, is investing $550 million over 10 years to support the building and operation of 1,750 new units of social housing for projects on and off-nation. Together, with our non-profit housing providers, the Aboriginal Housing Management Association, Indigenous housing societies and First Nations, we’re working hard to make housing better in all communities. In addition, Indigenous organizations and First Nations can access provincial support under all the new housing funds announced as part of Building BC.
The program is aimed at Indigenous families, seniors, individuals, and persons with a disability.
Prospective partners include Indigenous non-profit housing providers, First Nations, Métis Nation British Columbia, and non-profit and for-profit developers who wish to partner with Indigenous housing providers and First Nations.
Note for Housing Providers: In addition to applying for funding under the Indigenous Housing Fund, Indigenous organizations and First Nations will be able to access provincial support under the Building BC: Community Housing Fund.
Indigenous Housing Fund projects
To view Indigenous Housing Fund projects across BC, go to Homes for BC
Request for Proposals (RFP)
The first Request for Proposals (RFP# 1070-1819/14) for new rental housing units under the Building BC: Indigenous Housing Fund was issued June 18, 2018 and closes at 2 pm PST on October 5, 2018.
Who should submit a project proposal?
- Indigenous non-profit housing providers
- First Nations
- Metis Nation BC
- and non-profit and for-profit developers who want to partner with Indigenous organizations and First Nations interested in creating new affordable rental housing units for Indigenous persons
Housing Providers Responsibilities
Once operating, the housing provider will be wholly responsible for:
- Programs and services offered (if any)
- Collection of rents
- Resident relations and selection of new residents
- Building maintenance and upkeep: internal and external
- Community relations
- Capital planning
- Operating budgets
Submission documents and funding resources
Details on requirements and deliverables, the proposal review process, submission requisites and forms, and the Indigenous Housing Fund program can be found in the RFP document and appendices below.
- Indigenous Housing Fund - Request for Proposals
- Indigenous Housing Fund - Appendix A: Submission Form
- Indigenous Housing Fund - Appendix C: Capital Budget Template
- Indigenous Housing Fund - Appendix D: Operating Budget Template (updated August 2018)
- Indigenous Housing Fund - Appendix E: Organization Structure
- Indigenous Housing Fund - Appendix F-1: Sample Section 219 (operating agreement administered by BC Housing)
- Indigenous Housing Fund - Appendix F-2: Sample Section 219 (operating agreement administered by AHMA)
- Indigenous Housing Fund - Appendix G: Sample Agreement
- Indigenous Housing Fund - Addendum Three - FAQs
RFP issued: TBD
Submission deadline: TBD
Indigenous Housing Fund - Webinar
A webinar explaining the Indigenous Housing Fund program is now available.