Supportive Housing

Supportive housing is subsidized housing with on-site supports. These supports help you find and maintain housing stability.


If you're applying to supportive housing, you may require supports related to mental health and/or substance use and/or other challenges that may put you at higher risk of homelessness.

Non-profit housing providers operate supportive units that are a mix of single-room-occupancy (SRO) hotels and self-contained units. While the majority are in Metro Vancouver, there is supportive housing in other regions of B.C.

Supportive housing provides a range of on-site, non-clinical supports, such as life-skills training, and connections to primary health care, mental health or substance use services.

You may be eligible for Supportive Housing if you:

  • Are a low-income adult
  • Are homeless or at risk of homelessness
  • Require supports with mental health and/or substance abuse
  • Need support services that can help you maintain a successful tenancy

Available Services

If you qualify, you could live in a private room or apartment in a building with support services. Your rent includes housing and services. Buildings and living units vary in style and size.

A typical supportive housing building includes:

  • Units: a private room or a self-contained unit with a lockable door in an apartment-style building
  • Private or shared bathroom and kitchen
  • Access to laundry facilities
  • Access to support staff
  • Training for life skills, employment skills training
  • Referrals to other community services

Additional services may include:

  • Meal program
  • On-site medical supports

How to Apply

To apply for supportive housing, you must submit an application to the Supportive Housing Registration Service. You only need to apply once.

Note: If you are already living in supportive housing, you can also apply to transfer to a different building, depending on need and unit availability.

  1. Get the Supportive Housing Registration Service Application form .
  2. Complete the application form – instructions are included on the form
  3. Submit your application form:
    • In person: Bring your application to a BC Housing office
    • By mail: The Supportive Housing Registration Service, BC Housing, 101-4555 Kingsway, Burnaby, B.C., V5H 4V8
    • By fax: 604-439-4729 (you only need to fax pages 2, 3 and 4)
    • By email:

Important: Check your form before you send it to us:

  • Have you completed the information on all pages?
  • Be sure to sign and date the document below the declaration on page 4.

Additional Information