Occupational Therapist or Physical Therapist Assessment for Home Adaptations

Some home adaptations need an assessment from either an Occupational Therapist (OT) or a Physical Therapist (PT).

RAHA accepts applications on a first-come, first-served basis with priority to complete applications. Application intake is ongoing unless the annual program funding is exhausted. If annual funding is exhausted, application intake will close until April 1 which is when annual funding is renewed each year. Find answers to common questions about the BC RAHA Program

What is a home assessment and why do I need one?

A home assessment by a health care professional can help identify:

  • ways to make your home safer and more accessible
  • special equipment currently in use (or if needed)
  • the layout and design features of your home

An assessment identifies changes that allow you to continue living safely in your home.

Some recommendations may be simple like moving furniture to clear walking paths. You can improve mobility in your home without any extra cost. Reducing your fall risk is a good start by removing items that block your walking paths.

Other recommendations may need more effort.

You may have to buy equipment or hire a contractor to make home adaptations. This is where BC RAHA helps. The home assessment findings can assist with planning and guide decisions and discussions. This makes sure any adaptations made to your home will meet your needs.

Please note, if you pay for a private assessment, BC RAHA will provide you with a rebate of up to $275. Even if you do not qualify for the program or do not have any adaptations done.

Find an Occupational Therapist or Physical Therapist

Not all BC RAHA rebates need an assessment. Refer to the BC-RAHA Maximum Rebate Schedule for adaptations requiring assessments. If you already have an OT or a PT, ask if they can complete the assessment.

If you do not have an OT or PT, you can ask for recommendations or referrals from:

Does the assessment need to be completed by an OT or PT?

Usually, but assessments completed by other health care professionals can be considered.

They must:

  • Understand the specific permanent disability or ability loss
  • Seen the homeowner or tenant in daily tasks at home

Does the assessment need to be in person?

We rely on health care professionals to follow best practices to prevent further transmission of Covid-19. This can include conducting a virtual assessment in place of an in-person visit.

Submit the completed written assessment with the BC RAHA application. The application includes a simple 2-page assessment form.

Does the written assessment need to be on the BC RAHA form?

BC Housing will consider written assessments that are not on the BC RAHA form. The assessment must include the following:

  • Name of client requiring adaptations
  • Address where adaptations are being requested
  • Proof that the assessor observed the client(s) functioning in the home
  • Does the client(s) use any mobility equipment in the home? If yes, describe
  • Client(s) specific permanent disability or loss of ability and the impacts
  • Has the condition lasted at least 12 months or is expected to last at least 12 months?
  • List all the BC RAHA eligible adaptations that the assessor is recommending
  • Was there a fee charged to complete assessment? Yes/No. If yes, provide $ amount
  • Assessors Name and Professional Designation
  • Assessors Registration number
  • Assessors Phone number
  • Assessors signature

Need an application or have questions?

We can send an application to you in the mail, call our office at 604-433-2218 or 1-800-257-7756.