Landlord & Tenant Eligibility and Application

BC RAHA is a rebate program for people with permanent diminished physical abilities. Landlords who rent to low- to moderate-income income households can submit a joint application with their tenants for rebates for modifications to the rental unit.

RAHA accepts applications on a first-come, first-served basis with priority to complete applications. Application intake is ongoing unless the annual program funding is exhausted. If annual funding is exhausted, application intake will close until April 1 which is when annual funding is renewed each year. Find answers to common questions about the BC RAHA Program

Am I eligible for BC RAHA?

You may be able to get the BC Rebate for Accessible Home Adaptations (BC RAHA) assistance if the following are met:

  • The rental suite to be adapted is a legal, self-contained unit with a full kitchen and bathroom inside the unit
  • The rental suite is rented to tenants who live independently, and do not need assisted living
  • The adaptation request fits and relates to the disability or ability loss. Some requests need to be supported by an assessment from an Occupational Therapist (OT) or a Physical Therapist (PT)
  • A Tenancy Agreement is in place
  • The rent is below the Rent Affordability Limits (for BC RAHA)
  • The landlord agrees to not increase the rent as a result of the adaptations. Any annual rent increases will not exceed the maximum annual rent increase allowed under the Residential Tenancy Act
  • The tenant, or a member of their household, has a permanent disability or loss of ability
  • The requested adaptations are eligible and reasonably related to the disability or loss of ability
  • The tenant(s) and the person(s) requiring the adaptions must be one of the following:
    • Canadian citizen
    • Permanent resident of Canada
    • Refugee sponsored by the Government of Canada
    • Individual who has applied for refugee status and is not under private sponsorship (unless BC Housing accepts that the private sponsorship has broken down)
  • The tenant’s total household income before taxes does not exceed $128,810.
  • The tenant’s household assets are less than $100,000
  • The home for adaptations is an eligible residence.

Landlords can receive funding for a maximum of five units each fiscal year.


What application form do I use?

Complete and submit a Landlord & Tenant Application

Important: You must use the BC RAHA Application Form. Previous HAFI application forms will not be accepted.

 There are 3 parts to the BC RAHA application

  • Part I: Landlord and unit information. Must be completed by the landlord.
  • Part II: Give details about the adaptation request and how it will help the tenant live independently with their disability or loss of ability. The Landlord & Tenant may choose to complete this together as the Tenant will know which adaptations they require. The Landlord needs to agree to make the requested adaptations to the rental unit.
  • Part III: Tenant information. Must be completed by the tenant.

Complete the Application Form

Complete all sections of the application form, attach supporting documents, and submit application:

  • Online: using the BC Housing Program Upload Form
  • By mail: BC Rebate for Accessible Home Adaptations Program, BC Housing, 101-4555 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5H 4V8
  • By fax: 604-439-4729

Gather supporting documents: Both the landlord and tenant need to provide supporting documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered for approval until all needed information is received. You have up to 90 days to provide missing application information.

Landlord Documents
  • Authorized Agent - If you are an authorized agent for the property owner, a letter or other documentation from the property owner confirming authorization for you to act on their behalf.
  • Proof of Tenancy - A copy of signed lease, tenancy agreement, or rent receipts showing current rent amount for each unit.
  • Confirmation of a legal, self-contained unit - if rental unit is a suite in a single-family home:
    • Municipal Property Tax Assessment showing the unit is registered with the municipality or
    • Municipal Utility Bill showing charges for two units at the same address
  • If adaptations include items not on the Maximum Rebate Schedule: Include at least one written itemized estimate for the work request. Getting more than one estimate is highly recommended. The BC RAHA Program has a lifetime funding maximum, please carefully consider when selecting adaptations.
    The estimate must include:
    • Date the estimate was obtained.
    • The name and contact information for the person completing the work. If you are performing the work, write “self.”
    • An itemized list of work to be completed.
    • The cost for materials and labour, including taxes. If you are completing the work yourself, do not include labour costs.

Important - BC Housing has no affiliation with contractors. You are responsible for selecting your contractor and making sure the work is completed to your satisfaction. Please note that any adaptations completed prior to receiving written approval from BC Housing are not eligible. Tips for selecting a contractor

Tenant Documents
  • Proof of status in Canada for all tenant(s) and household members
    • Born in Canada: Copy of Canadian birth certificate(s) or Canadian passports If not born in Canada, please provide copies of the following:
      • Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292)
      • Any immigration document showing the date landed and the immigration code
  • If you have been a Canadian Citizen for more than eight years: Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Proof of income - Most recent Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency for all tenant(s) and every member of the household aged 19 or older

Note: If you do not have your most recent Notice of Assessment, log into your Canada Revenue Agency account at and print your assessment or call CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to ask for an “Option C” printout.

  • Confirmation of the Disability Tax Credit (if applicable) - A copy of your Income Tax Return showing the claimed Disability Tax Credit on L31600, L31800, or L32600 or a letter from the Canada Revenue Agency confirming your eligibility to claim the Disability Tax Credit. If your total household income is above the program's income limit we can reduce your household income by the amount of the Disability Tax Credit
  • Proof of assets - Bank statements, investment statements or letters from your financial institution or other documents confirming the value of all assets for every member of your household aged 19 or older
  • Proof of address - Most recent utility bills, a driver’s license or other proof that the person(s) requiring adaptations lives at the address that you are applying to modify
  • In-Home Assessment (if applicable) - An assessment from an Occupational Therapist (OT) or Physical Therapist (PT)

After you Apply

Applications are reviewed in the order they are received.  Completed applications are reviewed first. Application reviews continue until all the annual funding is used.

Once reviewed, Landlords receive a letter advising if the application is approved, missing information or ineligible:

  • Approved Applicants
    • BC Housing will confirm the eligible adaptations, the rebate amount and the terms and conditions to get the rebate. At this point we will provide written approval for work to begin.
    • You have 180 days to complete the work from the date of approval. If the adaptations are not completed in this time, and we do not hear from the landlord,  assistance may be cancelled, and the funds given to another household.
  • Missing information
    • Incomplete applications will not be considered until all required information  is received. You have up to 90 days to provide missing information.
    • BC Housing or its representatives may contact the landlord to inspect the rental unit prior to approval. This is to ensure the scope of work fits and is reasonable.
  • Ineligible - Common reasons for not being approved:
    • Not all the eligibility criteria were met
    • Late providing missing information
    • Funding is no longer available