If, as a homeowner, you find a potential construction defect before any applicable home warranty insurance coverage expires, you should take immediate action. 

Your first essential step is to give written notice of the claim to the warranty provider and the licensed residential builder. Homeowners also have a duty to mitigate damage, while warranty providers are required to handle claims as detailed in the Regulations (Schedule 2, section 3).

You can also request a disclosure of the claims history (Schedule 2, section 4) for your home from the warranty provider. To get in touch with your warranty insurance provider, consult our list of those approved in B.C.

Our Residential Construction Performance Guide lays out the minimum required performance of new homes covered by home warranty insurance, according to B.C. law. Residential builders can use the guide to help meet or exceed the standard to which their new homes will be measured in the event of a claim.

Disputes and claims

As a homeowner, you can compel the warranty provider to take part in a mandatory mediation session. The mediation process is performed independently of BC Housing.

Our Options for Resolving Residential Construction Disputes guide gives further information on how to resolve a claim. If you have concerns about claims handling or a claims decision by your warranty provider, our Warranty Complaints page explains your rights and next steps.

More resources

For further information, consult our Home Warranty Insurance on New Homes page.