A T5007 – Statement of Benefits slip will be issued for each tax year for the following programs:

  • Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters
  • Rental Assistance Program
  • Canada – BC Housing Benefits
  • Recipients of Portable Rent Supplements administered by BC Housing
  • Recipients of Portable Rent Supplements administered by Housing Providers

T5007 slips must be issued when the recipient receives more than $500.00 in the tax year.

Please note:

In order to issue the T5007 slip as required by Canada Revenue Agency and the Income Tax Act, recipients need to provide their Social Insurance Number (SIN).  

How is this going to impact recipients?

These amounts are not taxable, but must be included in net income to ensure any benefits that the recipient is entitled to are calculated properly.

Amounts on the T5007 tax slip will not affect eligibility for Old Age Security (OAS) or the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) and will not be included in the calculation of benefit amounts for the SAFER and Rental Assistance programs or rental fees in subsidized housing. 

Some benefits that may be affected are: 

  • Goods and Services Tax (GST) Credit  
  • Canada Child Benefit 
  • Provincial or Territorial Tax Credits 
  • Non-Refundable Tax Credits

Frequently asked questions

General Questions
  1. Why is BC Housing requiring the issuing of T5007 Statement of Benefits?  

    Issuing T5007 – Statement of Benefits is required to comply with the Income Tax Act and Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requirements. CRA strives to maintain the fairness of the Canadian tax system by ensuring payers, including provincial and territorial governments, report payments made to recipients. This is a cornerstone of our tax system as it ensures that accurate information is used to determine the benefits to which Canadians are entitled, and supports equal treatment of every taxpayer, irrespective of where they live.

  2. What type of payments need to be reported on a T5007?

    Payments made by BC Housing, or Housing Providers based on a means, needs, or income test, including payments made directly to individuals or indirectly to third parties (i.e., landlords) for the benefit of the individuals. This includes payments for shelter requirements.

  3. What is a T5007? 

    The T5007-Statement of Benefits is a tax slip to help recipients prepare their income tax return. It includes the amount of provincial assistance issued to in a tax year.

  4. Why is a T5007 Tax Slip issued to me?

    The Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) requires everyone who receives more than $500 in provincial assistance to report this income on lines 14500 and 25000 of their federal income tax return.

  5. How does a T5007 amount affect a tax return? Are my federal and provincial benefits impacted?

    The amounts shown on the T5007 tax slip are not taxable. They must be included in net income, so benefits are correctly calculated.

    Some benefits that may be affected are:

    • Goods and Services Tax (GST) Credit
    • Canada Child Benefit
    • Provincial or Territorial Tax Credits
    • Non-Refundable Tax Credits

    Amounts on the T5007 tax slip will not affect eligibility for Old Age Security (OAS) or the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS).

    The T5007 tax slip amount will not impact the benefit amount for any BC Housing programs.

  6. What if a recipient is no longer receiving benefits, how will they get their T5007 tax slip?

    A T5007 Statement of Benefits will be sent to the last known address and a copy sent to CRA. This will be sent if more than $500 was paid during the tax year, even if the recipient no longer receive benefits. 

  7. When are T5007 tax slips issued?

    To comply with CRA requirements, T5007 tax slips will be sent by the last business day of February each year. 

  8. What if there are two adults listed on the file?

    The T5007 tax slip will be issued in the name of the primary recipients listed on file.

  9. What if the benefit is paid directly to a landlord?

    The tenant is still the recipient of the benefit and will receive the T5007 slip in their name. It will be sent to the recipients last known address.

Social Insurance Numbers
  1. Why am I being asked for my Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

    Recipients of a rent supplement to help pay rent in the private market will be issued a T5007 Statement of Benefits. To complete the T5007 slip your SIN is needed. This is a Canada Revenue Agency requirement based on the Income Tax Act. 

  2. What if I don't have a SIN? How do I get one? 

    You will need to apply for one. You can apply for a SIN number online or by mail

  3. I lost my SIN. How do I replace it?

    There are many ways to find your SIN number. You can check with your employer, past tax documents, Service Canada, Canada Revenue Agency or Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction.

    To replace a lost SIN card, you will need to visit your local Service Canada centre with identifying documents. If you have any questions or do not live close to Service Canada call 1-866-274-6627 (Toll-Free) to discuss other options. Service Canada no longer issues cards if you lost a SIN card.

Filing Taxes After Receiving a T5007
  1. Where can I get help to do my taxes? 

    There are free tax clinics available throughout the province. Find your nearest clinic.

    If you are receiving disability assistance, the Disability Alliance BC (DABC) Tax AID Programs offer free tax preparation services. Contact: 236-477-1717 or 1-877-940-7797 (Toll-free) or [email protected].

  2. How do I file this in my Income Tax Return?

    On line 14500 of your Income Tax Return, please enter the amount in box 11 of your T5007 slip. Next, claim a deduction on line 25000 for the social assistance payment entered on line 14500.

  3. When do I need to file my taxes?

    The Income Tax Act states that the deadline for most Canadians to file their income tax and benefit return is April 30th each year. It is important to file your return on time. You may be entitled to funds, benefits or credits.