Find a shelter space »

Priority Placement Program

Stable, secure and affordable homes for women fleeing violence.

Exit Now

The Priority Placement Program helps women in British Columbia who have experienced violence or are at risk of violence. The program gives them priority access to BC Housing’s directly-managed units — social housing units that BC Housing manages day-to-day.

For women who are accepted into the program and live in Metro Vancouver, a Priority Placement coordinator will meet with you to determine the most suitable housing options for your needs. If a BC Housing directly-managed unit can meet your needs, the Priority Placement coordinator will support your transition into new housing.

To be eligible for priority placement:

  • You, or someone you know, is a woman who is fleeing violence or at risk of violence. This includes
    • Women of any age
    • Women with or without dependent children
    • Aboriginal women living off-reserve or on-reserve
  • A service provider who knows your situation can verify your information:
    • Staff from a safe home, transition house or second stage housing
    • Staff from a domestic violence unit or victim services
    • A social worker, case manager or counsellor
    • A Ministry of Children and Family Development worker
    • A doctor, nurse or other professional in a similar field
  • You fulfil the eligibility requirements for subsidized housing, including residency, income and assets.

1. Download, print a BC Housing Supplemental Application Form. You can also get the form:

  • In person: at any BC Housing office in B.C.
  • By mail: call 604-433-2218 in Metro Vancouver or Toll-free at 1-800-257-7756 to have the form mailed to you
  • By online request form: complete the online request to have the form mailed to you

Important: Offer an address that is safe to you.

2. Complete and submit the form

  • Ask your third-party verifier to complete the form. You also can ask a service provider to assist you with your application and act as your third-party verifier.
  • Your third-party verifier must be familiar with your current housing circumstance and/or health situation and housing needs.
  • Either you or your third-party verifier can submit the form by mail or fax to

    The Housing Registry
    101–4555 Kingsway, Burnaby  V5H 4V8

    Fax: 604-439-4729. 

If your application is missing information or supporting documents, BC Housing staff will contact you to explain what is missing and provide time for you to submit the missing information.

You must contact BC Housing to update your application every six months. This tells BC Housing staff that you are still waiting for housing. If we don’t hear from you, we will put your application on hold until you update your file.

Update your application in one of three ways:

  • In person: Bring your application package to a BC Housing office.
  • By mail: Write a letter with your name, file number and any new information to: Housing Registry, BC Housing, 101-4555 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC, V5H 4V8
  • By fax: 604-439-4729 

Note: Be aware that you put your priority status at risk if you return to the relationship. However, you can regain priority if you leave the relationship