This program provides employment training for Metro-Vancouver and Victoria youth living in our directly-managed properties.
Through STEP, youth living in directly-managed properties in Metro Vancouver and the City of Victoria are offered training to build skills and confidence, and provides practical experience.
- The STEP programs are open to youth 15-18 years old who live a BC Housing directly-managed property.
- When the program opens each year we mail letters and applications to all eligible youth.
- You’ll need to have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) before you can apply. Contact Service Canada to get an application form.
- Please note that if you’ve taken part in STEP before you’re not eligible to apply again.
Late applications are not accepted.
STEP to Work
This seven-week program takes place in Metro Vancouver, and helps youth prepare for work through a mandatory two-week training period, followed by five weeks of work. Participants are given a transit pass for the seven weeks.
During the training period, participants will prepare a resume and learn job interview techniques.
The program also provides the following information:
- Workplace safety, including how to protect your back in the workplace
- Standard first aid
- Food safety for working in restaurants
- Working as front-line staff in the hospitality and tourism industries
- Working with hazardous materials
How to apply
You can apply in one of three ways:
- Ask your building manager for an application
- Call 778-452-6452 and ask for an application
- Email the program directly at email@example.com and ask for an application
The program runs through the summer, but starts on different dates every year. If you want to know when the program starts, ask your building manager.
After you apply
- We’ll contact you to let you know if you’ve been accepted.
- You will receive a participation package upon acceptance, with forms to complete and have signed by your guardian or parent.
- We’ll phone you to arrange a meeting, or to schedule a phone call to confirm your participation and discuss the program.
STEP UP Leadership
This eight-week program is for youth living in Greater Victoria directly managed housing complexes. It provides two weeks of leadership training followed by six weeks of work experience in the City of Victoria’s recreation department.
During this program, you’ll learn how to:
- Communicate in the workplace
- Develop leadership skills
- Prepare your resume
- Work in a team
While this program takes place within the city’s recreation department, participants can apply the skills and knowledge to many workplaces including recreation, child and youth care, and education.
You’ll receive a $600 honorarium for completing the Step UP Leadership Program.
How to apply:
- Ask your landlord when the next program begins
- Download the STEP Up Leadership Program Application Form
- Fill out the form. You’ll need the signature of a parent or guardian to complete the application form.
Send your completed application to:
510-369 Terminal Ave. Vancouver, BC V6A 4C4
For more information contact:
STEP UP Leadership Program
Mail: 201-3440 Douglas St. Victoria, BC V8Z 3L5