If you’re a general contractor, you must complete CPD to keep your licence in good standing.
During your one-year licence term, you must complete a minimum of 20 CPD points related to the residential construction industry. Points can be earned through training, from research and education development, or a combination of both. You can earn two CPD points per hour of formal learning and one CPD point per hour of informal learning.
You can carry a maximum of 20 extra CPD points over from one licence term to the next, if the nominee for CPD stays the same.
Our Education Registry offers a wealth of pre-approved CPD education providers and courses and is a great place to start if you’re looking for training opportunities.
You are required to keep a record of your completed CPD training for three years after the end of your licence term. We may audit your CPD participation at any time upon request, so keep your records complete and accessible. Only completed training that can be verified is eligible for CPD points.
You can only claim points for an individual course once. Unless there has been substantial changes to a course you will not be able to claim credit for it again.
Continuing Professional Development: A Guide for Licensed Residential Builders in British Columbia
We encourage you to read our CPD Guide. It will help you understand the CPD program requirements and answer many of your questions. Learn about choosing your nominee, acceptable types of training, keeping records, reporting your CPD and more. The guide explains every stage of your annual CPD requirements.
You can also download each chapter of the CPD Guide:
- Chapter 1: Summary of CPD Requirements
- Chapter 2: Choosing a Nominee for CPD
- Chapter 3: Earning Your CPD Points from Training
- Chapter 4: Finding Training Opportunities
- Chapter 5: Earning Your CPD Points from Suppliers and Service Providers
- Chapter 6: Earning Your CPD Points from Research and Education Development
- Chapter 7: Understanding How CPD Carry Over Works
- Chapter 8: Keeping Your CPD Training Records
- Chapter 9: How to Report Your CPD
Reporting your CPD
CPD points must be complete and reported through the Licensed Residential Builders portal before applying to renew your licence each year.