Housing Partner Contact Form

This form enables us to better coordinate and centralize information and sector requests based on need. Please be specific and include as many details as possible about the nature of your question or request. As much as possible, please continue to use your existing procurement channels and suppliers. We ask that all Housing Providers submit their requests through this form and not via the Non-Profit Portfolio Manager (NPPM) and Supportive Housing Advisor (SHA).

NOTE: AHMA will coordinate and provide any requests on behalf of their members. However, any AHMA member could submit their own request.

Supply & Deep Cleaning Requests - BC Housing is working to procure critical supplies needed by front line workers, including gloves, masks, goggles, hand sanitizer and cleaning products. We are also working to identify professional cleaning firms. As much as possible, please use your existing suppliers and contractors. If you are submitting a request for supplies or deep cleaning, please be specific about the items and quantity you need. For example, ask for 50 bars of hand soap and 100 face masks instead of asking for 'cleaning supplies' or 'PPEs'.

Meal Requests – Use this form when you need prepared meals for our most vulnerable populations. Let us know how many resident meals are needed and if you normally provide meals. BC Housing will generally be providing meal packages that can include breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Extreme Heat and/or Smoke Equipment - Request equipment to respond to extreme heat and/or smoke conditions. We want to ensure that our most vulnerable populations have opportunities to access cold spaces during extreme heat situations, and clean air in the event of smoke from wildfires. BC Housing currently has fans, a limited quantity of bottled water, and KN95 masks available. Portable Air Conditioning units and Portable Air Purifiers will be available shortly. 

Please note the following:

  • Fans:  For use in common areas or tenant rooms.
  • Air Conditioning/Air Purifiers: For use in common areas only.
  • Bottled Water:  If water can be procured easily in your area, please consider sourcing locally.
  • When requesting Extreme Heat and/or Smoke Equipment, please specify:
    • The number of items required
    • Where the equipment will be used (e.g. common area or tenant rooms)
    • Size and number of the common room(s), if applicable

What is ordered may be different than what is shipped depending on availability and the above criteria.  You will be contacted once your order has been received.

For questions about this form, please contact Covid19NPSupport@bchousing.org

Please provide as much detail as possible to assist us in responding effectively. Do not identify any clients in this description.