The updated Building Envelope Guide for Houses provides practical information related to the design and construction in accordance with Part 9 of the 2018 British Columbia Building Code (BCBC). This guide builds on the approaches presented in the first edition and has expanded to include alternate construction approaches such as Insulating Concrete Form (ICF) and conditioned attics. Further construction systems and installation details have also been added, including the improved energy performance of homes built to the increasing performance levels of the BC Step Code.
- An invaluable resource for homebuilders, designers, building officials and trades
- Step-by-step construction detail descriptions
- More than 1,200 full colour 3-D images and more than 100 2-D architectural section drawings
- Latest building science principles related to moisture management issues in house construction
- Illustrated traditional and rainscreen details
- Descriptions of different building envelope systems and related code requirements and best practices
- Vetted by the major trades of professional associations with the intent of being used as a deemed-to-conform with the BCBC reference
The Building Envelope Guide for Houses was co-funded by BC Housing and the Building Safety and Standards Branch, Office of Housing and Construction Standards, and published by BC Housing.
Order a Copy
The guide was developed by the Province of British Columbia in partnership with BC Housing and the industry. It is endorsed by AIBC, BOABC, CHBA BC, HAVAN, Engineers and Geoscientists of BC, ASTTBC, Concrete BC, Canadian Wood Council and RCABC.