Find out if your property is permitted for the Home Adaptations Independence program (HAFI).
Eligible properties under the HAFI program
Eligible properties can be anywhere in BC, including Indigenous communities:
- A single-household house
- Legal basement suite
- A row home or townhouse
- Co-operative housing, as long as it is not subsidized by any level of government
- An individual unit in a strata corporation (condo) property
- An individual unit in a multiple-unit rental building
- More than one unit in a multiple-unit rental building up to a maximum of 5 units per year
Important: If your home is less than 10 years old there may home warranty insurance still in place. If so, please check with your warranty provider before making adaptations to ensure that the warranty is not voided.
Ineligible properties under the HAFI program
- An entire rental building
- An entire strata corporation (condo) property
- Any housing owned, subsidized by or under agreement with any level of government.Note:Units occupied by households receiving assistance through the Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER) or the Rental Assistance programs, may be eligible.
- A hotel, motel, lodge or bed-and-breakfast accommodation
- A hospital, nursing home or residential care facility
- Student housing, including dormitories
- Company housing provided to employees
- Religious institutions or associated residences, rectories and convents
- A recreational or seasonal property
- A recreational vehicle or trailer
- Properties under construction
- Properties where foreclosure proceedings have commenced