Compliments and Complaints

BC Housing is committed to working with its many stakeholders and partners to provide housing and services for British Columbians in greatest need, with the highest standard of service available.


If you have had a positive experience with one of BC Housing’s staff we would like to hear from you. We are extremely proud of our staff and your comments are greatly appreciated. All compliments are sent to the staff’s supervisor, the staff person and our human resources office.

To send us a compliment, email [email protected].


BC Housing takes complaints seriously and is committed to receiving, handling and resolving complaints in a consistent, objective, fair and timely manner.

To send us a complaint, email [email protected].

What is not covered by the complaint resolution process?

The complaint resolution process is not available to you if other appropriate legislation can resolve your concern.

Examples include, but are not limited to:

If one of these complaint resolution processes, or another complaint resolution process, is available to you, you will be redirected to that resource when you contact us.


What if I have a complaint about a non-profit or co-op housing provider?

BC Housing does not have a role to review complaints received by a tenant/member living in a building managed by a non-profit housing provider or a co-op. A non-profit housing provider is considered an independent, democratic organization operating in a manner based on its constitution and bylaws. Co-ops are owned and democratically controlled by the people who use their services.

Tenancy complaints should be directed to the property manager/administrator of the building where you live. If the property manager/administrator can’t successfully resolve your complaint you should contact the Board of Directors of the non-profit housing provider or the co-op. Check to see if your non-profit housing provider has a website which may give you contact information for the Board. Alternatively, contact the BC Registry Services to get information on how to obtain a list of the Board of Directors of a society.

Tenants living in a building managed by a non-profit housing provider have the same tenancy rights as tenants living in the private market. If you have tenancy/maintenance issues that are not being resolved by your housing provider contact the Residential Tenancy Office.

Members of a co-op will be aware of which members sit on the Board of Directors.

Complaint resolution is a two-step process

Step 1 – Local Review

You are strongly encouraged to resolve the complaint informally with BC Housing employees and the appropriate manager, as needed. Where resolution is not achieved, the complaint resolution process is available to:

  • Applicants for housing and tenants in BC Housing’s directly managed public housing stock.
  • Applicants and recipients of the Rental Assistant Program (RAP) or the Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters Program (SAFER) in areas where the complaint process is not defined by SAFER legislation.
  • Stakeholders, partners, suppliers, and/or clients who do not feel they have been treated fairly and/or are not satisfied with the service they have experienced.

Step 2 – Formal Review

If you are not satisfied with the decision made by the BC Housing manager, a formal review by the Complaint Resolution Committee may be requested by completing a Complaint Resolution Form.

Please complete the form, attach any supporting documentation, and forward by mail, fax, or email to:

Complaint Resolution Committee
Suite 1705-4555 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC  V5H 4V8
Attention: Manager, Complaints Resolution
Fax: 604-439-4722
Email: [email protected]

The Committee will review all of the relevant information you have provided in the form and supporting documentation, and seek information from any or all parties named in your complaint to ensure that the process is fair and transparent for all concerned.

The Complaint Resolution Committee will investigate and advise you of its decision within thirty (30) business days.

Ombudsperson Investigation

If you are still not satisfied, you can request an independent review by making a complaint to the Office of the BC Ombudsperson.

The Office of the BC Ombudsperson receives inquiries and complaints about the practices and services provided by public agencies. Their role is to impartially investigate complaints to determine whether public agencies have acted fairly and reasonably.

If you bypass the complaint resolution process and proceed directly to the Office of the BC Ombudsperson, they may re-direct you back to our complaint resolution process to try and resolve your complaint.