Homeowner Eligibility and Application Process

As a homeowner, you may be eligible for Home Adaptations for Independence (HAFI) assistance if you or someone in your household has diminished physical abilities and you meet all the application requirements.

Am I Eligible for HAFI?

You may be eligible for Home Adaptations for Independence (HAFI) assistance if you meet ALL of the following requirements:

  • You or a member of your household   has a permanent disability or loss of ability  .
  • The requested adaptations are eligible and reasonably related to the disability or loss of ability.
  • The homeowner(s) and the person(s) requiring the adaptations must be one of the following:
    • Canadian citizen
    • Individual lawfully admitted into Canada for permanent residence
    • Refugee sponsored by the Government of Canada
    • Individual who has applied for refugee status
      Note: the homeowner(s) or person(s) requiring the adaptation cannot be under private sponsorship, except where BC Housing has accepted that private sponsorship has broken down.
  • Gross household income    does not exceed the Housing Income Limits (HILs) - 2019 for your area (which also takes into account household composition).
  • Household assets are less than $100,000.  
  • The home for adaptation is owner-occupied and is the principal residence of the owner and the person requiring the adaptations.
  • The home’s BC Assessment value is below the Home Value Limits (average assessed value of homes for your assessment area.)
  • The home for adaptation is an eligible residence. List of eligible and ineligible housing.

Complete and Submit your application

IMPORTANT: HAFI is not currently accepting applications

BC Housing is not accepting new Home Adaptations for Independence (HAFI) applications currently to support public health and safety during the COVID-19 crisis. The risk of spreading the virus will be reduced by limiting potential interactions from adaptation project estimates and meetings.

Gather Supporting Documents

Incomplete applications will not be considered until all required information has been received and will be held for a maximum of 90 days.

  • Proof of ownership and Home Value — your most recent Property Assessment Notice from BC Assessment.
  • Proof of status in Canada for all homeowners and the person(s) requiring adaptations
    • Copy of Canadian birth certificate(s) or Canadian Passports if born in Canada
    • If not born in Canada, please provide copies of one of the following:
      • Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292)
      • Any immigration document showing the date landed and the immigration code
      • Canadian Citizenship Card, if you have been a Canadian Citizen for more than eight years
  • Proof of income — the most recent Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency for all homeowners and every member of the household aged 19 years or older.

Note: If you do not have your most recent Notice of Assessment, you can log into your Canada Revenue Agency account at www.cra.gc.ca/myaccount and print your assessment or call CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to ask for an “Option C” printout.

  • Confirmation of the Disability Tax Credit (if applicable) – A copy of your Income Tax Return showing the claimed Disability Tax Credit on L316, L318, or L326 or a letter from the Canada Revenue Agency confirming your eligibility to claim the Disability Tax Credit. If your total household income falls above the Housing Income Limit, we can reduce your household income by the amount of the Disability Tax Credit.
  • Proof of assets — bank statements, investment statements or letters from your financial institution or other documents confirming the value of all assets for every member of your household aged 19 years or older.
  • Proof of address — most recent utility bills, a driver’s license or other proof that the person(s) requiring adaptations lives at the address that you are applying to modify.
  • Written Estimates - At least one written itemized estimate for the work requested. Getting more than one estimate is highly recommended. As the HAFI Program has a lifetime funding maximum, please consider carefully when selecting adaptations.
    The estimate must include:
    • Date the estimate was obtained.
    • The name and contact information for the person who will be completing the work. If you are performing the work, identify as “self.”
    • An itemized list of work to be completed.
    • The cost for materials and labour, including taxes. If you are completing the work yourself, do not include labour costs.

      Important – BC Housing has no affiliation with contractors. You are responsible for selecting your contractor and verifying that the work is completed to your satisfaction. Tips for selecting a contractor .

      Note: Any adaptations completed prior to receiving written approval from BC Housing are not eligible.

  • Other Documentation
    • If property is part of a strata: A written document from the strata:
      • Providing approval of the proposed adaptations
      • Confirming that modifications to the home are the sole responsibility of the property owner
      • Confirming that proposed modifications are not part of a special levy
    • If homeowner is a member of a housing co-operative: A letter from the co-operative providing:
      • Confirmation that the development does not receive subsidy from any level of government
      • The number of units in the development
      • Approval of the requested adaptations
      • Confirmation of membership/share purchase
    • If the home is a mobile home and the homeowner pays pad rental:
      • Approval of land owner for any EXTERIOR adaptations

Complete all sections of the Application Form, attach supporting documents, and submit application:

  • In person: bring your application package to a BC Housing office
  • By mail: Home Adaptations for Independence, BC Housing, 101-4555 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5H 4V8
  • By fax: 604-439-8550

After you apply

Applications are reviewed in the order they are received until the annual funding allocation is exhausted. Fully completed applications will be reviewed first.
Once reviewed, you will receive a letter advising if your application is:

  • Approved
    • If your application is approved, BC Housing will confirm the eligible adaptations, the grant amount and the terms and conditions to receive the grant. At this point we will provide written approval for you to begin work.
    • You will have 90 days to complete the work from the date of approval. If you do not complete the work by that time and we do not hear from you, your assistance may be cancelled, and the funds reallocated to another household.
  • Missing Information
    • Incomplete applications will not be considered until all required information has been received and will be held for a maximum of 90 days.
    • BC Housing or its representatives may contact you to carry an inspection prior to approval — to ensure the scope of work is appropriate and reasonable.
  • Ineligible , common reasons for an application not receiving approval include:
    • Not all of the eligibility criteria were met.
    • The time limit for providing missing information has lapsed.
    • Funding is no longer available.