Builders & Developers

How to get, keep, and renew a residential builder licence. Learn about registering a new home, home warranty insurance and Continuing Professional Development (CPD).

Builder licensing essentials

Become a Licensed Residential Builder in B.C.

Are you a general contractor, developer or building envelope renovator and want to build a new home in B.C.? First, you must become a licensed residential builder.

Qualification Requirements for New Residential Builders

General contractors must meet qualifications for a new residential builder licence. Find out about the training and experience required.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition process (PLAR)

Find out if the PLAR process is right for your residential builder licence application.

Renewing Your Residential Builder Licence

General contractors, developers, and building envelope renovators must renew their residential builder licence every year to keep their licence in good standing.

Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

CPD is a mandatory part of renewing your general contractor licence. Find out all of the details by downloading our guide.

Amending and Updating Your Licence

How to keep your profile on the portal up-to-date, including changing your contact info, your CPD nominee, or your company name and structure.

Avoid Suspension or Cancellation of your Licence

The Registrar may suspend or cancel a residential builder licence. Learn how to avoid the most common pitfalls.

Registration & warranty insurance

Register a New Home

If you’re looking to build a new home, the project must be registered and enrolled in home warranty insurance, or have an applicable exemption. Let us show you how.

Home Warranty Insurance Providers

Our list details the insurance companies approved by the BC Financial Services Authority that can provide home warranty insurance. Contact them for more information.

Third-party Home Warranty Insurance

Our guide will help you learn more about getting acceptance from a home warranty insurance provider, possible exemptions, enrolling projects in home warranty insurance and more.

Working With Your Warranty Provider During Construction

Learn more about the responsibilities of licensed residential builders to their home warranty insurance provider during and after construction of a new home.

How to Use the 2-5-10 Year Home Warranty Insurance Logo

All new homes built by licensed residential builders in B.C. must have 2-5-10 home warranty insurance, the strongest construction defect insurance in Canada.

Building Envelope Renovation Schedule

You must complete a Building Envelope Renovation Schedule and have it sealed by your warranty provider before applying for a building permit or starting applicable building envelope renovations.

Building Envelope Renovation Warranty Insurance

Find out which insurance companies supply coverage, how to get warranty acceptance and coverage, what the coverage includes and possible exemptions.

Building Permits for New Homes and Building Envelope Renovations

Save time on your building permit application by being prepared with the right information to give your local municipality or regional district.

Rental Exemption

Learn more about the acceptance criteria for a rental exemption and requirements for the restrictive covenant to be registered on title.