Approved assistance will be either a grant or a forgivable loan. Once your application is approved, you will have 90 days to complete the work from the date of written approval.
After your Application is Approved - Completing the Work
Once your application is approved, you will have 90 days to complete the work from the date of written approval.
- If you experience any delays, it is important to contact us immediately to discuss and determine if an extension can be provided.
- Funds are limited and if work is not completed within the approved timeframe your application may be cancelled and the funds reallocated to another household.
You are responsible for:
- Organizing and coordinating the work
- Making sure the work is completed in accordance with applicable legislation, by-laws and codes
- Contacting BC Housing, before approving any changes in scope (If approved HAFI grant is less than $17,500 and you wish to apply for additional funding).
Important: Inspections may be carried out by BC Housing or its representatives:
- During construction – to confirm work is being completed as expected.
- Following the completion of work — to ensure that the approved adaptations have been completed as declared.
After adaptations have been completed
BC Housing will pay you after the work is finished. Once the adaptations are complete to your satisfaction, you must:
- Pay your contractor
- Submit documents to BC Housing for reimbursement
- Copies of receipts
- Copies of all invoices from your contractor, if applicable
- Copies of any permits (if permit fees were part of the approved adaptations)
- Other documents as requested by BC Housing (pictures of completed work, confirmation of payment of amounts above the approved amount)
- Signed Declaration of Work Completed form (outlines the terms and conditions of
The total amount paid will be based on the final invoice amount and will be calculated as follows:
- 100% grant towards the first $15,000
- 50% grant towards an additional $5,000 to a maximum of $2,500
- The maximum total lifetime grant is $17,500 per household
- Will not exceed the amount set out in the Approval Letter
Important: Assistance will not be provided for any amounts or any scope of work beyond other than that approved in writing by BC Housing or for any work completed prior to approval. You are responsible for paying any amounts exceeding the grant amount approved in writing by BC Housing.