Landlord & Tenant Eligibility and Application Process

HAFI is a grant program for people with diminished physical abilities. Landlords who rent to low-income households can submit a joint application with their tenants to pay for modifications to their rental unit to allow the tenant to live independently.

Am I eligible for the HAFI program?

You may be eligible for the Home Adaptations for Independence (HAFI) assistance if you and your tenant meet ALL the following conditions:

  • The unit for adaptations must be a legal, self-contained unit with a full kitchen and bathroom within the unit.
  • The unit is rented to a household who lives independently (ie not assisted living).
  • A Tenancy Agreement is in place with the rent falling below the Rent Affordability Limits (RALs) .
  • The landlord agrees that the rent for the adapted units will not be increased as a result of the adaptations and any annual rent increases given to the tenant will not exceed the maximum annual rent increase allowed under the Residential Tenancy Act.
  • The tenant or a member of their household    has a permanent disability or loss of ability  .
  • The requested adaptations are eligible and reasonably related to the disability or loss of ability.
  • The tenant(s) and the person(s) requiring the adaptions must be one of the following:
    • Canadian citizen
    • Individual lawfully admitted into Canada for permanent residence
    • Refugee sponsored by the Government of Canada
    • Individual who has applied for refugee status
  • The tenant’s gross household income    does not exceed the Housing Income Limits (HILs) - 2019 .
  • The tenant’s household assets are less than $100,000.  
  • The home for adaptations is an eligible residence.

Landlords can receive funding for a maximum of five tenant/units per fiscal year.

Complete and Submit a Landlord & Tenant application

IMPORTANT: HAFI is not currently accepting applications

BC Housing is not accepting new Home Adaptations for Independence (HAFI) applications currently to support public health and safety during the COVID-19 crisis. The risk of spreading the virus will be reduced by limiting potential interactions from adaptation project estimates and meetings.

Important: You must use the 2019/20 HAFI Application Form. Previous application forms will not be accepted.

The HAFI application has multiple parts:

  • Part I: Landlord and unit information. Must be completed by the landlord.
  • Part II: Provides details about the adaptations being requested and how they will help address the tenant’s disability or loss of ability. The Landlord & Tenant may choose to complete this together as the Tenant will know which adaptations they require, and the Landlord needs to agree to make the requested adaptations to the rental unit.
  • Part III: Tenant information. This section should be completed by the tenant.

Complete all sections of the Application Form, attach supporting documents, and submit application:

  • In person: bring your application package to a BC Housing office
  • By mail: Home Adaptations for Independence Program, BC Housing, 101-4555 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5H 4V8
  • By fax: 604-439-8550

Gather supporting documents: Both the landlord and tenant need to provide supporting documents: Incomplete applications will not be considered until all required information has been received and will be held for a maximum of 90 days.

Landlord Documents

  • Authorized Agent — If you are an authorized agent for the property owner, a letter or other documentation from the property owner confirming authorization for you to act on their behalf.
  • Proof of ownership — your most recent Property Assessment Notice from BC Assessment, or a land title search showing the legal address of the property.
  • Proof of Tenancy - A copy of signed lease, tenancy agreement, or rent receipts showing current rent amount for each unit.
  • Proof of agreement (strata owners only) — a letter or other document from your strata corporation confirming that:
    • The strata has reviewed and approved the proposed adaptations.
    • The adaptations are solely the owners (landlords) responsibility.
    • The adaptations are not connected to a special levy or underlying deficiency.
  • Confirmation of a legal, self-contained unit — if rental unit is a suite in a single-family home:
    • Municipal Property Tax Assessment showing the unit is registered with the municipality; or
    • Municipal Utility Bill showing charges for two units at the same address

Written Estimates - At least one written itemized estimate for the work requested. Getting more than one estimate is highly recommended. As the HAFI Program has a lifetime funding maximum per unit, please work closely with the tenant to identify the adaptations that will best support them in the rental unit.

  • The estimate must include:
    • Date the estimate was obtained.
    • The name and contact information for the person who will be completing the work. If you are performing the work, identify as “self.”
    • An itemized list of work to be completed.
    • The cost for materials and labour, including taxes. If you are completing the work yourself, do not include labour costs.

Important – BC Housing has no affiliation with contractors. You are responsible for selecting your contractor and verifying that the work is completed to your satisfaction. Please note that any adaptations completed prior to receiving written approval from BC Housing are not eligible.
Tips for selecting a contractor

Tenant Documents

  • Proof of status in Canada for all tenant(s) and household members
    • Copy of Canadian birth certificate(s) or Canadian passports if born in Canada
    • If not born in Canada, please provide copies of the following:
      • Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292)
      • Any immigration document showing the date landed and the immigration code
      • Canadian Citizenship Card, if you have been a Canadian Citizen for more than eight years
  • Proof of income — the most recent Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency for all tenant(s) and every member of the household aged 19 years or older.

Note: If you do not have your most recent Notice of Assessment, you can log into your Canada Revenue Agency account at and print your assessment or call CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to ask for an “Option C” printout.

  • Confirmation of the Disability Tax Credit (if applicable) – A copy of your Income Tax Return showing the claimed Disability Tax Credit on L316, L318, or L326 or a letter from the Canada Revenue Agency confirming your eligibility to claim the Disability Tax Credit. If your total household income falls above the Housing Income Limits (HILs) - 2019 , we can reduce your household income by the amount of the Disability Tax Credit.
  • Proof of assets — bank statements, investment statements or letters from your financial institution or other documents confirming the value of all assets for every member of your household aged 19 years or older.
  • Proof of address — most recent utility bills, a driver’s license or other proof that the person(s) requiring adaptations lives at the address that you are applying to modify.

After you Apply

Applications are reviewed in the order they are received until the annual funding allocation is exhausted. Fully completed applications will be reviewed first.

Once reviewed, the Landlord will receive a letter advising if the application is:

  • Approved
    • If the application is approved, BC Housing will confirm the eligible adaptations, the grant amount and the terms and conditions to receive the grant. At this point we will provide written approval for work to begin.
    • There will be 90 days to complete the work from the date of approval. If the adaptations are not completed by that time and we do not hear from the landlord, the assistance may be cancelled, and the funds reallocated to another household.
  • Missing information
    • Incomplete applications will not be considered until all required information has been received and will be held for a maximum of 90 days
    • BC Housing or its representatives may contact the landlord to carry an inspection of the rental unit prior to approval — to ensure the scope of work is appropriate and reasonable.
  • Ineligible - common reasons for not being approved:
    • Not all the eligibility criteria were met
    • The time limit for providing missing information has lapsed
    • Funding is no longer available