Find a shelter space »

Education & Training

Information for builders and education providers, including new residential builder requirements and CPD.

Builder qualifications

Qualification Requirements for New Residential Builders

General contractors must meet a qualification standard for a new residential builder licence. Find out what necessary training and experience you need and where to find acceptable training courses.

How to Use the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition Process

Some applicants for a new residential builder licence may choose to qualify using a Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition review. Find out if that’s applicable to you and what’s required.

Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

Acceptable Training for CPD

Discover what CPD training you can take, where to take it, whether it can be formal or informal, how many points you need and other training options.

Choosing a Nominee for CPD

Every licensed company must identify the individual who is meeting the CPD requirements on its behalf. Learn the rules that govern who that can be and how to change a nominee if necessary.

How to Report CPD

CPD can be taken any time during your licence term. It’s a good idea to regularly log the hours you’ve put in, find out the points you can claim and see your running total.

Keeping a Record of Your CPD

Keeping verifiable records is a vital part of CPD training. Make sure you know where to get training documents, what format they should be in and what to do if they’re incomplete.

Your CPD timetable

Is your residential builder licence going to expire soon? Find out when you should take your CPD training.

Education providers

Education Providers & Training

Education providers have a vital role in B.C.’s builder licensing system. Learn the differences between training for qualifications and Continuing Professional Development, plus which providers can put on the training.

The Core Competency Requirements

Applicants for a new residential builder licence as a general contractor must successfully show proficiency in seven core competencies. Learn all about them here.