Deborah Louise Williams (“D. L. Williams”) and David Norman Williams (“D. N. Williams”) (together, “the Williamses”), contrary to sections 14(1) and 22(1) of the Homeowner Protection Act (the “Act”), built or caused to have built a new home in Endako, BC (the “New Home”), sometime prior to September 24, 2020, without being a BC Housing (“BCH”) Licensed Residential Builder (“LRB”) and without the New Home being registered for coverage by home warranty insurance (“HWI”) provided by a warranty provider. On July 20, 2021, BCH issued Compliance Order 21-0012 to the Williamses directing that the Williamses:
- Ensure all construction activities cease on the New Home; and
- Immediately either:
- become a LRB pursuant to section 14(1) of the Act, and register the New Home for coverage by HWI provided by a warranty provider pursuant to section 22(1) of the Act;
- provide BCH Compliance Department with proof that the New Home is enrolled in a policy of HWI pursuant to section 22 of the Act;
- apply for, and be issued, an Owner Builder Authorization for the New Home on the property pursuant to section 20(1) of the Act and section 4.1(2) of the Homeowner Protection Act Regulation, provided that either D.L Williams and D.N. Williams meets the eligibility requirements; or
- provide BCH Compliance Department with evidence that the New Home is no longer a residential dwelling and does not meet the definition of a “new home” as defined under the Act.
D. L. Williams and D. N. Williams were ordered to comply with Compliance Order 21-0012 by September 10, 2021.