Ian Douglas Parris (“Parris”), contrary to sections 14(1) and 22(1) of the Homeowner Protection Act (the “Act”), commenced construction on a new home in Topley, BC (the “New Home”), sometime prior to March 12, 2019, without being a BC Housing (“BCH”) Licensed Residential Builder (“LRB”) and without the New Home being registered for coverage by home warranty insurance (“HWI”) provided by a warranty provider. On December 22, 2021, BCH issued Compliance Order 21-0026 to Parris directing that Parris:
- Ensure all construction activities cease on the New Home; and
- Immediately either:
- become a LRB pursuant to section 14(1) of the Act, and register the New Home for coverage by HWI provided by a warranty provider pursuant to section 22(1) of the Act;
- provide BCH Compliance Department with proof that the New Home is enrolled in a policy of HWI pursuant to section 22 of the Act;
- apply for, and be issued, an Owner Builder Authorization for the New Home on the property pursuant to section 20(1) of the Act and section 4.1(2) of the Homeowner Protection Act Regulation, provided that Parris meets the eligibility requirements; or
- provide BCH Compliance Department evidence that the New Home no longer meets the definition of a “new home” as defined under the Act.
Parris was ordered to comply with Compliance Order 21-0026 by February 3, 2022.