Amos David Hunter (“Hunter”), contrary to sections 14(1) and 22(1) of the Homeowner Protection Act (the “Act”), commenced or caused to have commenced construction on a new home in Telkwa, BC (the “New Home”), sometime between May 3, 2018 and May 18, 2023, without being a BC Housing (“BCH”) Licensed Residential Builder (“LRB”) and without the New Home being registered for coverage by home warranty insurance (“HWI”) provided by a warranty provider. On August 29, 2023, BCH issued Compliance Order 23-0015 to Hunter directing that Hunter:
- Ensure all construction activities cease on the New Home; and
- Immediately either:
- become a LRB pursuant to section 14(1) of the Act, and register the New Home for coverage by HWI provided by a warranty provider pursuant to section 22(1) of the Act;
- provide BCH Compliance Department with proof that the New Home is enrolled in a policy of HWI pursuant to section 22 of the Act;
- if Hunter meets the eligibility requirements, Hunter may apply for, and be issued, an Owner Builder Authorization for the New Home on the property pursuant to section 20(1) of the Act and section 4.1(2) of the Homeowner Protection Act Regulation; or
- provide BCH Compliance Department with evidence that the New Home is no longer a residential dwelling and does not meet the definition of a “new home” as defined under the Act.
Hunter was ordered to comply with Compliance Order 23-0015 by October 6, 2023.