We are committed to contributing positively to local communities and reducing the negative environmental and social impacts of our activities.
Reducing waste through sustainable construction
We are committed to reducing waste in all aspects of our business. The companies we work with must meet or exceed the following targets:
- Companies in the Lower Mainland must meet or exceed 80 per cent waste diversion from landfill.
- Companies on Vancouver Island must meet or exceed 60 per cent waste diversion targets.
- Tracking of all construction and redevelopment projects
- Tracking of all demolition projects, regardless of budget
- Tracking of all renovation projects with budgets greater than $100,000
- Completion of demolition (if applicable),
- 50 per cent progress claims, and
- Substantial completion.
Our sustainability principles
Environmental: design, renewable material, logistics, disposal options, greenhouse gas reductions, waste reduction and toxic use reduction
Economic: achieving the best value for money and impacts to the economy such as lifecycle costs, as well as community benefits and opportunities
Social: training and development opportunities, fair trade labour practices, fair wages, small and medium Indigenous enterprises, social enterprises and responsible manufacturing
Innovation: opportunities to stimulate the market to innovate and produce more effective sustainable options
Supplier Performance Program
We monitor and evaluate the performance of our suppliers once a contract is signed and the work is progressing. If a supplier produces unsatisfactory work, we will address the issue through a non-conformance report. Our Supply Chain Management Department will work with you to resolve any differences.
The BC Housing Supplier Performance Program is designed to:
- Acknowledge suppliers who perform good work
- Raise awareness of underperforming suppliers
- Improve the quality of work provided to meet BC Housing standards