Enforcement Action: Monetary PenaltyIssue Date: June 5, 2012
On June 5, 2012, pursuant to s. 28.3(1)(a) of the Homeowner Protection Act (the “Act”), and s. 20.1(2)(e) of the Homeowner Protection Act Regulation (the “Regulations”), Parmjit Deol (“P. Deol”) was issued a monetary penalty in the single amount of $675." This Monetary Penalty was issued for the following reasons:
- P. Deol, contrary to section 21(2) of the Act, regarding a new home in Gibsons, B.C., (the "New Home") for which an Owner Builder Authorization had been issued, sold the New Home on, or about, July 22, 2010, without providing the prospective purchaser of the New Home, prior to the sale of the New Home, a disclosure notice in a form satisfactory to the Homeowner Protection Office (the “HPO”) Registrar stating, among other information, whether or not the New Home was covered by a policy of home warranty insurance;
- The contravention of the Act by P. Deol is the subject of Compliance Order 10-0029 (“CO”) issued by the HPO on October 5, 2010. The date for complying with the CO was October 29, 2010;
- The CO directed P. Deol to obtain a Disclosure Notice from the HPO for the New Home and once obtained, provide the HPO with evidence that P. Deol has in fact provided this Disclosure Notice for the New Home to the purchaser of the New Home pursuant to section 21(2)(a) of the Act;
- P. Deol failed to comply with the CO by the requested compliance date; and
- P. Deol complied with the CO on April 11, 2012.