Enforcement Action: Compliance OrderIssue Date: April 20, 2017
Minder Bhullar (“Bhullar”) and Balwant Singh Sran (“Sran”), contrary to sections 14(1) and 22(1) of the Homeowner Protection Act (the “Act”), built or caused to have built a new home in New Westminster, B.C. (the “New Home”), between the period of, or about, November 20, 2014, and April 20, 2017, without being a BC Housing (“BCH”) Licensed Residential Builder (“LRB”) and without the New Home being registered for coverage by home warranty insurance provided by a warranty provider. On April 20, 2017, BCH issued Compliance Order 17-0010 to Bhullar and Sran directing that Bhullar and Sran:
- apply for and become a BCH LRB pursuant to section 14(1) of the Act and register the New Home for coverage by home warranty insurance provided by a warranty provider pursuant to section 22(1) of the Act;
- provide BCH Compliance Department with proof that the New Home is being built by a LRB and is enrolled in a policy of home warranty insurance pursuant to section 22 of the Act;
- apply for, and be issued, an Owner Builder Authorization for the New Home pursuant to section 20(1) of the Act and section 4.1(2) of the Homeowner Protection Act Regulation (the “Regulations”); or
- provide BCH Compliance Department with evidence that the building permit issued for the New Home has been cancelled or terminated; and
- Until such time as the New Home is in compliance with the Act and Regulations, any offer to sell the New Home, or actual transfer of title of the Property by Bhullar, Sran, or anyone else, would not be legally permissible under the Act and Regulations unless permission to sell the New Home has been granted by the Registrar under section 22(1.2) of the Act.
Bhullar and Sran were directed to comply with Compliance Order 17-0010 by May 19, 2017.